Brand Backer

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

THE CRUELTY FREE TAG!

Hey babes! Long time no see ;) It's been a while since I've been around- the semester got real rough, you guys. But I'm back, and hopefully headed into a regular posting schedule! What better way to break back into the blogging game by filling out the cruelty free tag! This was originally created by Jacquelyn Lovene and Hala Gabrealle on youtube, but I thought I'd give it a shot on here!

Something I think that needs to be raised in the cruelty free community is the tendency towards "policing" each other in a way- people make different choices in their journey towards going cruelty free and people jumping on them for being unsure of a companies testing status or something they had previously purchased is just unnecessary. You can educate without attacking. People make mistakes and people learn. Jumping all over them makes the community unfriendly and hostile. Instead of leaving a harsh comment, maybe send them a message with a link or two.

CRUELTY FREE Q&A TAG QUESTIONS:

- What was your first impression of cruelty free makeup?

Hmm, I don't know if I can truly remember my very first impression. But I remember when I first started wearing makeup, I never paid much attention to cruelty free or not. It wasn't even something that was in my universe- once I finally learned about it, it was just a sort of extra thing, it was never really a consideration either way.

- What is your opinion on parent companies?

People tend to get real fired up about parent companies, and I think it's something that people need to decide on for themselves and make an educated decision. Personally, I do buy from cruelty free companies that are owned by a parent company that isn't. I feel that by putting my money towards the sections under a larger parent company that are cruelty free will help show the parent company that it matters to consumers. It can also be extremely hard to find completely stand alone cruelty free as well, unless you're going completely natural or indie brands.


- What was the turning point in you going cruelty free?

Quite honestly, it was when I started doing my own research about animal testing and what it actually entails. The realities of the testing process is absolutely horrific, and in my opinion, unnecessary. I was pretty horrified at what I'd been blindly supporting in the past.

- What would you say to someone considering going cruelty free?

Makeup at the end of the day is something that is unnecessary to me.  Its a fun little luxury hobby, and something you're allowed to be as choosy and picky about as you want. I don't want my eyeliner to be a product of suffering of another living being.  I would strongly encourage people to do some research for themselves and educate themselves on what the realities of testing are.

- What are your best cruelty free dupes?

I don't have much dupe wise, but I've found a lot of success finding cruelty free brands and stickign with them. My current go to's are Wet N Wild for face products, ELF for lip products and Urban Decay for eye stuff, as I've been finding they work really well with my skin chemistry!

- What items have you not found a cruelty free dupe for yet?

My hardest items so far have been body products. Perfume, hair products, skincare. I would absolutely love recommendations if anyone has any?

- What's your favorite cruelty free brand? Drugstore & High end?

Drugstore wise, I've been really loving ELF, WET N WILD, and Essence. I don't really branch into "high end", but some of the more expensive brands I've been enjoying have been Urban Decay, Becca and Anastasia Beverly Hills!

- Which brands and/or items do you most wish were cruelty free?

I so very much wish MAC would return to cruelty free! I love their lip products so much!

- What advice do you have for the temptation to buy non cruelty free products?

The biggest thing for me is to recognize that it's just stuff. I'm not going to die without a lipstick. It's okay to be tempted, of course. It happens! Another thing I find is important to acknowledge is that people aren't perfect. You might make mistakes! I know I've done it on accident- it can be hard to find a companies status as many are switching back and forth all the time. Often you might find conflicting blog sources. If you mess up, it's not the end of the world, it's just a learning experience.

- What do you do with your non cruelty free products? Declutter? Use up?

For the things that were older or I didn't care for, I passed on or just plan threw out. Other things I've been slowly trying to work through. In my mind, the money's already spent, I might as well finish the product off!

- Do you think animal testing will end one day?

I think it ultimately will. I sure hope so at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment